It is often said the eyes are the mirror to the soul. Yet one thing many of us deal with at one time or another are undereye bags and circles, which can make us look older and tired. Not exactly the reflection we want to project to the world!
Some of it can be attributed to ethnicity and genetics, especially if your skin is olive toned, while other contributors are lifestyle and skin care habits. By adjusting some of our lifestyle routines and using eye products with cutting-edge ingredients, under eye circles and puffiness can be managed and minimized.
Some lifestyle tips for younger, more youthful looking eyes include:
- Cut down on salt intake. Salt is responsible for a lot of our bodily fluid retention. In the eye area, this shows up as bags.
- Drink lots of water to flush out excess salt from your system.
- Sleep on back with head elevated to help drain excess fluid retention.
- Get enough sleep! Tired eyes are often baggy eyes.
- Manage your allergies to reduce inflammation and swelling around the eyes.
- Remove all eye makeup before bed to avoid residue from seeping into the eye and causing irritation while you sleep.
- Limit alcohol intake. Excessive alcohol dehydrates the skin.
- Avoid sun exposure by wearing sunscreen specifically made for eyes, sunglasses, and hats. Some of the darkening under the eyes can be attributed to the “tanning” of the area.
- Kick the smoking habit. Smoking breaks down the collagen in the skin and makes blood vessels more apparent.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to get the vitamins and nutrients you need for healthy looking skin all over!
In addition to modifying some of our lifestyle habits, using eye products with the most advanced ingredients can also help the eye area look more youthful and firmer.
- Retinol – the gold standard in skin repair. Retinol, a Vitamin A derivative, increases cell turnover, renews skin cells, reduces the appearance of fine line and wrinkles, and helps brighten the skin.
- Haloxyl – a synthetic combination of active ingredients which stimulate the natural elements of the skin and help reduce the colored blood pigments in the skin
- Microcrystalline Matrix – often found in firming creams. This ingredient tightens the skin’s appearance and reduces the appearance of bags under the eyes.
- Green Microalgae Extract improves skin’s firmness.
- Caffeine decreases swelling and protects the skin from sun damage.
By committing to a healthier lifestyle and an effective skin care program, under eye circles and darkness can be definitely be minimized!