Always sexy, always sultry, and always in style, the red lip is a classic makeup look no matter what the trends.
To get beautiful red lips, follow these simple steps:
- Exfoliate the lips to remove any chappiness and flakes.
- Lightly dab foundation over your natural lip line and follow with a face powder to set.
- Using a red lip liner, draw an “X” from one tip of the cupid’s bow to the bottom of the top lip. Repeat on the other side to finish the “X”
- From the top of the cupid’s bow, using light feathery strokes, continue the line to the outer corner of the mouth. If your top lip is smaller than your bottom lip, you can cheat a bit by going slightly above your natural lipline. Be careful not to overdo it. Repeat on the other side.
- Outline the center of the lower lip. Then using light, feathery strokes, continue to both corners of the mouth. You can go slightly inside the natural lipline if your top lip still appears smaller.
- Fill in the lips with the lipliner. This will help the lipstick set and prevent bleeding into the fine lines around the mouth.
- Lightly dust face powder for more staying power.
- Using a lip brush, dab lipstick all over the lips. Then smooth with the lip brush.
Fixing any mistakes and creating a more precise line is easy! Using a fine makeup brush, apply concealer right outside the lipline. Blend the concealer into the skin.
For added punch, dab a bit of lip gloss in the center of the mouth.
And if you really want to shine, apply lip gloss all over the lips. Avoid going all the way to the lipline to minimize bleeding.
The shade of red you choose depends on your skin tone. If your skin is cool toned, choose a blue-based red. Warm skin tones look best in orange-based reds.
A beautiful compliment to red lips is a light eyeshadow, black or gray eyeliner, and luscious eye fringe. Curling the lashes and applying a couple of coats of mascara will do the trick!