Everyone wants younger, more radiant looking skin! Achieving and maintaining beautiful skin is definitely an attainable goal!
What you see today on your skin in terms of wrinkles, lines, and discoloration is the result of many factors, many over a lifetime, such as genetics, nutrition, stress, sleep habits, smoking, and the biggest culprit of them all, sun exposure. It will take time and dedication to reverse some of the damage, but it can be done!
Being consistent with a skin care program will give you the best possible looking skin!
There are two facets to skin care. Salon facial treatments and home care. A common analogy I share with my clients is dental care. You go to the dentist for the deep cleaning that you would not do yourself at home, but you still need to brush and floss every day to maintain healthy teeth.
In the salon, you will experience a more intensive salon facial treatment which will give you faster results. A typical 60 or 90 minute facial treatment includes (but is not limited to): skin analysis, deep cleansing, toning, steam, exfoliation, extractions, masks, a chemical peel, moisturizing, and massage depending on your individual concerns and skin type. Monthly salon facials will help you achieve healthy, younger, and softer looking skin quicker because the active ingredients used are at higher percentages than what is available for home use.
As previously mentioned, following a skin care program at home will help maintain the results achieved in the salon.
The basic skin care products for a successful home program include:
- A Cleanser Lotion or Gel… Soap leaves a waxy residue and dull film on the skin which doesn’t rinse off with water. (Ever try to rinse off the soap scum in your tub with just water? same thing) Liquid cleansers rinse off the skin without leaving a film on the skin.
- Tonic.. The “rinse cycle” after cleansing. When we rinse off the cleanser, oftentimes, the mineral in our water settle onto the skin which can result in that dry, tight feeling. Toner removes that as well as excess cleanser you may have missed while rinsing and anything still left on the skin after cleaning.
- Exfoliatior.. A physical exfoliator polishes the skin by removing dead surface skin cells revealing the brighter, smoother skin underneath. Your ideal exfoliator depends on your skin type. If your skin is sensitive, avoid anything harsh and opt for a Rice Powder based exfoliator.
- Eye Cream.. The skin around the eyes is the thinnest and the first place we see aging. Applying an eye cream morning and night will help smooth the skin and protect this fragile area.
- Day Cream with SPF.. The #1 thing anyone can do to have better and healthier looking skin is to protect it from UV exposure every single day and it’s never too late to start! Use a lotion if your skin is oily, a cream if it is dry.
- Night Cream.. As we sleep, the skin loses water. A night cream helps the skin repair itself while you sleep by keeping it hydrated and minimizing the loss of essential moisture.
In addition to the basic skin care program outlined above, you can add products with active ingredients that specifically target the signs of aging.
- Retinol.. the “gold standard” when it comes to softening lines and wrinkles. A derivative of Vitamin A, retinols speed up the natural exfoliation process in the skin, collagen production, and circulation. Because of the rapid cell turnover, retinols can increase sensitivity in the skin and should be used only at night. Sunscreen is a MUST!
- Alpha hydroxy and glycolic acids.. These anti-aging acids also speed up cell renewal and are a great addition to your morning routine or as an alternative for sensitive skin that that cannot tolerate retinols.
- Hyaluronic Acid .. delivers much needed moisture to dehydrated skin and provides a healthy environment for the growth of new cells.
- Resveratrol.. a powerful anti-oxidant found in red wine, resveratrol helps preserve the the structure and function of the skin.
Your skin is the first thing people notice and it says a lot about your overall well-being and health. Take care of it and you will be rewarded with a more youthful glow and radiance!